Midyear qualifying events (QLEs) are life changes that allow you to enroll in or change your group health insurance plan outside of your employer’s annual open enrollment period. In other words, if you experience a QLE, you can enroll in a new plan or change your current plan even if it’s not open enrollment time.
There are various QLEs, but some of the most common include:
- Getting married or divorced
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Losing your job or starting a new job
- Becoming eligible for Medicare or Medicaid
- Moving to a new state
- Turning 26 and losing dependent status (and therefore coverage) under the parents’ plan.
If you experience a QLE, you typically have 30 or 60 days to enroll in a new group health insurance plan.
If you have any questions about midyear qualifying events or group health insurance, contact us at 267-384-5300 or complete the form below. We are happy to guide you through the complicated world of health insurance.